Alfred Ritz's Afternoon Pickle Throw

6.26.2007

The Simpsons Movie, or, I Can't Believe I Watched the Whole Thing!

Well I haven't watched it yet because it isn't out yet. And I'm certainly not one who engages in unlawful activities on the Internet.

But I after watching all three trailers on http://www.youtube.com/ , I'm very puzzled. What happened to something so sacred? In the good old days, the Simpsons was a pioneer of television. So many shows, and even general humor in culture, have followed in the footsteps of this once great program.

I'm puzzled because of several classic Simpson writers who are credited to the film: Vitti, Brooks, Jean, Reiss, Scully, Swartzwelder and even M.G. himself. If all of those heroes (yes heroes, they are responsible for half of my upbringing: parents = 50%, Simpsons = 50%) worked on it, why does it look so sucky from the trailers? Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I doubt it. It looks like it will be filled with stupid low-brow humor and lacking all the innovative humor the show once had.

Someday I will write a definitive book on the evolution of Simpsonian humor and its effects on society. Think Beatles Anthology. In its prime, The Simpsons found the perfect balance between cultural commentary, satire, irony, cleverness, obsurdity and cartoonish goofiness. I call these episodes (mostly found in seasons 3-7) "The Golden Years." Then it just started relying on the same old stuff over and over and over. By nature, you can't get humor out of something that is expected. It seems to appeal to duller tastes only, where they used to have many levels and varieties of humor, making for a lovely banquet. Now it's just Spam on Iron Kids Bread.

So, I'm probably going to see the movie anyway. Why? Because it's like the childhood best friend whom you haven't seen in many years, and he suddenly dies. You gotta go to the funeral to pay your respects. R.I.P., old friend. Maybe we'll D'OH again in the afterlife.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home