Alfred Ritz's Afternoon Pickle Throw

12.11.2006

Birthdays, or Why Any Combination of Foods is Worth Trying At Least Once, Especially Based on a Recommendation

So last Tuesday was my 24th birthday. It could have been worse, obviously, but quite frankly, it wasn't much fun. No, I'm not bothered by getting old. I'm bothered by the fact that nothing, so far, seems to be moving in the direction I had set out for myself.

When David was here over Thanksgiving, he pointed out that my frustration is not simply graduate school related, but how that relates to my life in general.

Anyways, so this weekend was a surprise party for myself and my friends Rob and Pat, whose girlfriends were sad that they couldn't be in Iowa City for their birthdays which were last summer. We know each other through my wife Jennifer, Rob's girlfriend Juli, and Pat's girlfriend Cerisa and they are all in the anthropology department together. All three ladies were gone this summer doing field work and Juli and Cerisa had to miss Rob and Pat's birthdays. Mine being last week, Jennifer was here for it.

Point is, it was a surprise three-way birthday party for us, and that was really cool. The ladies worked really hard to make sure it didn't suck and they did good work. There was even a "Place the Mustache on Borat" game. Lots of fun.


My bosses birthday was yesterday (12/10) and I've brought in a cake and a card for her, which is what she did for me last week. She's brought in a plate with what look like WHITE CHOCOLATE COVERED OREOS. However, the student here told me they are not what they appear to be: They are infact White Chocolate covered Ritz Crackers and Peanut butter.

Who the FUCK would eat that?

So I tried it. I've had nothing but good luck trying combinations of food in my life, and quite honestly, this was no exception!

Here are some great ones:

1. Peanut Butter and Jelly with (here's the kicker) BACON (from a girl back in my SAT prep course in high school)

2. Coke and Sprite

3. Cream Cheese on Hamburgers (thanks to Mickey's in Iowa City)

4. Peanut Butter on Hamburgers (thanks to Clock'd in Athens, Georgia)

5. And Jennifer puts butter on her Frosted Strawberry Pop Tarts, which makes them fucking AMAZING.


This new combination isn't one I would have thought I could manage, but it's incredible! There are still five left behind me, but I've already had two and I don't want to look like a fat pig more than I already do.



I guess the moral of my post is you should try things that don't sound good together at least every once in a while. I've been dying to try peanut butter and banana sandwichs for a really long time, personally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home